Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Just add sugar

In spite of the stinking cold weather of recent days, we are now harvesting our first field crop of the season. Just look at those glorious red stalks of rhubarb, makes your mouth water doesn't it! I must confess, rhubarb is not my favourite _______, hmmm, it must be a vegetable I suppose, definitely not a fruit, although it is best eaten as a fruit crisp....actually, I think you could argue that rhubarb is a herb! Why do I say this? Hang onto your seat belts, this blog entry is about to change into a philosophical question about the difference between a herb and a vegetable. Go ahead check out your dictionaries and Wikipaedia, but I think a herb is something you add in small quantities to your dish for flavour, and a vegetable is the non-seed or non-fruit part of a plant, and you can eat it on it's own. I don't think you can eat rhubarb on it's own. I think Rhubarb is a herb, that you add in small quantities to sugar!  
Asparagus (definitely a veggie) in a few days, if we ever get some heat!

1 comment:

  1. We are harvesting rhubarb now too and we love it! Its one of our favourites for pie!

    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete