Monday, May 31, 2010

What's under your hat?

Yesterday I'm walking between our greenhouses (water water water) and some bug flies into my glasses, with a thump that makes me think whatever it was must have been pretty big. About 10 minutes later I either I look up, or take off my hat, and you can see from the photo what had taken a ride under the brim of my hat, just a hair's breath from my forehead. To give you an idea of it's size, the thread lines of my brim are a 1/4 inch apart, making this fellow about 1.5 inches long! Yikes! At least he was a good sport and stayed on my hat long enough to get his picture taken!

My entomological sources tell me:
"It is definitely a Buprestid Beetle - Metallic wood boring beetle. 
Which species I am not sure although from the look and size  it could be
a Flat-headed Pine Heartwood Borer (_Chalcophora virginiensis)_ which is
one of the biggest at 25-30mm."

No comments:

Post a Comment